Skip to main content

Pretty sad when I have a 4.9 in Item as described but am in the top 10%-25%... I can only be 0.1 better but am not in the top 10%. I also have a 4.5 in shipping charges and am in the bottom 10%-25%... I've been losing money on my shipping charges lately and my items don't sell for enough money to ship for free so this really sucks!!!
quote:
We are their customers and they treat us like crap.

Are you being treated like crap? eBay has taken to think of sellers vs buyers in a different way. I think that's the key fundamental difference of this new management team.

YES, we the sellers pay the site all the money it makes, we "made it what it is" so to speak, so you'd think we'd be considered their customers, and the ones that should be treated with kit gloves.

But think about it a second. Without buyers, the sellers don't mean much do they? Without sales, All they get would be listing fees, which are only a small fraction of the total fee taken. No sales, no money for the site. So it's in eBay's best interest to generate sales, motivate buyers, Make sure buyers don't leave, don't get screwed, don't talk bad about the site.

Once you calm down about all the changes and look at a bigger picture, you begin to see the method in the madness.

"Has Jeff been drugged?" you are saying. No, and I haven't been given a eBay implant either. Rather than be mad all the time, it was time to try to analyze what's going on and why, and basically that's what I've come up with.

Face it folks, a few bad apples have ruined it for all. I'm referring to bad sellers. The ones that overcharge postage, give retaliatory feedback, give buyers a reason not to come back, and in the process talk badly about eBay to their friends.

Solution? None. Stay here or go someplace else. I'm only trying to explain how I see all these changes. Donna mentioned more changes are coming. We probably won't like them either, or will be shocked by them. One day at a time.
Last edited by jeffs
quote:
Has Jeff been drugged?" you are saying.

I'm saying YES Wink

Usually I agree with you JeffS but...I can't help but think of all the truly horrible sellers that are allowed to get away with everything because they make the biggest bucks for Ebay. They would be Platinum PSs but they're not because they have so many negs. I asked before if anyone remembered bargainland? Look them up...but they left on their own, the worst I ever saw happen to them was a one day suspension. There's also a very large volume HD dealership that left on their own, but had a terrible track record.

My point is...you were RIGHT to be mad, and you should still be mad...as a smaller seller I have to watch every little thing I do for fear of getting buried in the search. The 'big boys' can do whatever they want. 2 sets of rules...

There is no solution...like you, I will stay here, my items are selling well, and I just try not to dwell on how much I've grown to dislike Ebay. (Pass your 'Ebay drugs' this way will ya) Big Grin

JMHO Smile
There have always been two sets of rules at eBay. But I've never run afoul of the set that applies to me.

Your monster sellers have as many negatives as I'd expect them to have. When you do thousands of transactions a month, not everyone is going to be happy. Bargainland sold close out crap. You get what you pay for. Some people apparently don't understand that.

I don't feel I'm in any competition with the big guys. I have nothing in common with them, nor do they with me.

I can't stay mad forever. eBay isn't worth getting an ulcer over. It's there to make money off of, whatever money I can get. I still say there's some logic in my thoughts.

As for "disliking eBay", I've disliked them for years, but at the same time have made thousands. I have to keep that dislike in perspective.
How much have you sold since the new fees went into effect?

Can you compare it against the previous month (or months) where you grossed a similar amount?

Compare the fees for the two months. How much more did you have to fork over?

What's the percentage difference between these two?

I'm just curious.

I'll see if I can get you some numbers from my sales.
quote:
dsrwatch.com link.

Well, my DSR just dropped from 4.9 to 4.8 just a moment ago,(must of been right on the edge) in "Item as Described" - #160231212111 AND IT WAS A 100% DONATION!!!! I made nothing on this sale. I had been watching my DSR ratings trying to get everything up as high as I could. I tell you it was exact... TULIP BULBS FOR GOODNESS SAKE, the size of bulb was correct, the amount you would receive was correct....I described what the plant would look like eventually, the height, zone to plant in, when it will bloom, the color of the bloom, how to plant it on and on.....what else should I said about a tulip bulb...DO YOU think it's because I didn't say the bulb was kind of roundish in shape. NOT SURE??? hmmmmm.....Confused
Just wait 'til your feedback gets dinged from May onwards, if this gives you grief.

There is no reason on earth why buyers should care about our DSR's, feedback or reputation.

Some know for sure that the so called commitment to buy on winning is not worth the electrons used to illuminate your monitor screen.

The whole scene relies on honest unbiased caring buyers and sellers and it doesn't need many bad ones to upset it all.

Long live the revolution . . . . or is that just spin Smile
Overall I'm pretty happy with my DSRs (so far).
But a newbie just gave me a neutral because her item 'smelled a little smoky'. I live with bikers for goodness sake, they smoke & so do I and it says so in all my listings...nobody reads anymore, and new members just don't know any better.

JeffS I'll try & find some numbers for ya...I haven't been around in awhile Smile
quote:
Originally posted by member_8880:
Overall I'm pretty happy with my DSRs (so far).
But a newbie just gave me a neutral because her item 'smelled a little smoky'. I live with bikers for goodness sake, they smoke & so do I and it says so in all my listings...nobody reads anymore, and new members just don't know any better.

I'd be happy with those DSR numbers you have too. They're very high. But don't you feel like a 2nd class citizen since you're not an elitist (PS) and get no discounts? Don't you feel you deserve a discount given your feedback and DSR? Yea, thought so.

Regarding your "smoking disclaimer", yes, I see it, but you have it in much smaller type. I suggest you make it the same sized type as the rest of the listing and reword it slightly, also a different color as it blends into some of your background colors.

Oh, and people don't read. I've known that for years. There are quite a number of bidders who bid on picture only, and don't bother to read the listing.
Last edited by jeffs
Hey there JeffS,

Oh yes, right after that I enlarged the font and put the word SMOKING in caps...it still probably won't work Smile
I just had a winning bidder tell me she won't be paying for the shirt she won (she'd been bidding it up all week) because she thought it was an XXL and it's only a L. It's just so annoying...can't anyone read anymore? (that's rhetorical). No one can be bothered it seems...I take so much time on the descriptions, and then end up wondering why I bothered Smile But still gonna keep to business as usual, for this 2nd class citizen Wink
Yep, mine also show as all 0.0

I guarantee you eBay has changed the API so that the data can no longer be obtained externally.

DSR Watch probably became too popular and/or too controversial for eBay, so they simply removed the ability for this site to fetch the data. I'll bet this has a lot to do with the Seller Dashboard being introduced soon. You're supposed to be able to view this data there, so why let anyone else have free access to it?
quote:
Originally posted by member_8880:
I just got an email today that says my DSRs have changed...but they havent, they're exactly the same Confused

I received same notice a couple of days ago. Why would they send us a notice that our DSR's have changed when they haven't. I'm so mad, when this was first implemented, I received 1 or 2 average stars and even though my DSR's have been nearly perfect since, the DSR score has not gone up. How many darn ratings do you have to get before the DSR score rises? It sure didn't take but a few to make it low. My DSR are a 4.8, 4.9, 4.8, and 4.7. Should I be happy with these with having a 100% Feedback Score. Lordy, I'm such a perfectionist...can't stand not to make an "A".
All you moms out there...HAVE A WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY! Jeanie
Personally, I feel that they are a bit of a farce. I know that these are now being used to filter out "bad" eBayers from eBays search engine, but to me anyway, they don't accurately tell the storey.

I have been selling empty ink cartridges for a while now, and it baffles me that I would only be rated 4.8 for "Item as described". They're empty!! What more would one have expected?

4.6 for "communication". If you ask a question, I answer it. I always let you know the item has been shipped and I always say, "thanks", after all of my auctions. Again I ask, what more was expected??

"Shipping time", 4.5. You pay me today, the label goes on tonight and it is in the mail the next morning. I clearly state to allow 2 days with the exception of weekend and holidays, which just for the record, I still make the time to slap that label on and walk to the mail box. What more do they expect??

Lastly, and this one irks me the most, "Shipping and handling charges",4.4. Again let me say that all my auctions CLEARLY state what the shipping costs are. If you think that they are too high, don't bid!

I represent my auctions clearly, accurately and fairly. I also state that if there are any concerns to contact me. No one ever does. As of this post, I have a 100% positive feedback score and have never had anyone ever contact me with any remorse, in fact most praise the speed to which their items arrive, how well they're packed, good communication, state just as describbed, and still these stupid ratings. I don't get it.

I guess I could only out do myself by beaming them the item, just like in Star Trek, and pay the for the postage instead of collecting S/H and call them after each bid, it might help. But lets face it, that ain't gonna happen!

Mark
Buyers have no reason or incentive to leave, let alone consider a valid DSR rating for a seller, and quite a few will not even leave feedback.

It is down to the luck of the draw and probably down to the type and age group of your buyers to whether they will leave a realsitic rating for you.

Yes, this is a bitter pill to swallow considering that the greedbay is the judge, jury and executioner and use the DSRs to cripple your search rating and can even execute your livelihood without consultation.

The final salt rub is that the wording used to describe the star rating to a buyer is woefully inappropriate to all but the experienced seller who buys. Frown

edit :-
quote:
I have a 100% positive feedback score

Yes, leaving positives and dinging your stars is apparently the way some buyers complain (stab in the back technique), will this change when sellers can no longer neutral or neg ?
quote:
Originally posted by JeanieB:
How many darn ratings do you have to get before the DSR score rises? It sure didn't take but a few to make it low.

It's important to note that the larger the number of ratings you have, the longer it will take for you to impact your DSRs in a positive manner. For example, if a seller has 1,000 DSRs and a 4.3 DSR rating, it would take 170 5.0's, 1,000 4.5's, or 25,000 4.4's to bring the DSR up to a 4.4.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

quote:
The final salt rub is that the wording used to describe the star rating to a buyer is woefully inappropriate to all but the experienced seller

And even them some. What's the difference between "Good" and "Very Good"?

What's the difference between "Accurate" and "Very Accurate"?

And what the hell does "Neither accurate nor inaccurate", "Neither quickly nor slowly", "Neither expensive nor inexpensive", mean?

You get the point.

If you don't start out with your star values up high, it may take you quite a while to raise them. Sellers who have thousands of star votes already are pretty much static where those ratings stand. It will take them forever to move them.

I have yet to find any explanation or math as to how quickly then can be lowered.
quote:
Originally posted by watrocket:
Personally, I feel that they are a bit of a farce. I know that these are now being used to filter out "bad" eBayers from eBays search engine, but to me anyway, they don't accurately tell the storey.

I have been selling empty ink cartridges for a while now, and it baffles me that I would only be rated 4.8 for "Item as described". They're empty!! What more would one have expected?

4.6 for "communication". If you ask a question, I answer it. I always let you know the item has been shipped and I always say, "thanks", after all of my auctions. Again I ask, what more was expected??

"Shipping time", 4.5. You pay me today, the label goes on tonight and it is in the mail the next morning. I clearly state to allow 2 days with the exception of weekend and holidays, which just for the record, I still make the time to slap that label on and walk to the mail box. What more do they expect??

Lastly, and this one irks me the most, "Shipping and handling charges",4.4. Again let me say that all my auctions CLEARLY state what the shipping costs are. If you think that they are too high, don't bid!

I represent my auctions clearly, accurately and fairly. I also state that if there are any concerns to contact me. No one ever does. As of this post, I have a 100% positive feedback score and have never had anyone ever contact me with any remorse, in fact most praise the speed to which their items arrive, how well they're packed, good communication, state just as describbed, and still these stupid ratings. I don't get it.

I guess I could only out do myself by beaming them the item, just like in Star Trek, and pay the for the postage instead of collecting S/H and call them after each bid, it might help. But lets face it, that ain't gonna happen!

Ditto for me, except my DSR scores are a little better. What I think is so unfair is how long it takes to improve your DSR score. When this new DSR went into effect, I know many buyers had no idea how much this affects our business. Ebay should have allowed time for this new policy to become familiar to all ebayers. If you got a couple of average scores in the very beginning you are screwed! Jeanie B

Mark
quote:
Pretty crappy....really makes you wonder why ANY of us stay??

Easy . . . . the devil runs the only site with a decent sell through rate because it has a household name like Xerox and Hoover.

One can only hope that when new buyers see all the sellers with copious quantities of reds shortly they will think this site is too risky to buy from.

They will think it's littered with liars and thieves, and there will be no way they can tell who is genuinely good or bad (bit like before) but this time many will be covered in e-sores (negs) and appear to have come down with e-plague or worse.

Hopefully this should turn on its head the thought that this wonderful piecemeal destruction of eBay once loved by thousands of sellers is perhaps a poor idea. Glad I do not have any shares in it, I would start feeling rather uneasy.

And for homework, anyone, ask your friends to name as many online auction venues as they can and award a prize to any one who can name three ! Smile
quote:
Conversely, now I have 100% positive, as the negs I got years and years ago are gone. I sort of like that, I never liked 99.7% ;-)

I respectfully suggest you do the math on yourself as of now.

Your 12 month count is now 188, not 1167.

If you get one negative or one neutral now, here's what happens: 188/189 = 99.5%. One negative AND one neutral: 188/190 = 98.9%. How about 3 neutrals: 188/191 = 98.4%

Gee, drops fast, eh?

Welcome to the new math.

Go to your feedback page and roll your mouse cursor over the "[How is Feedback Percentage calculated?]" link.

Good luck in the new world of eBay.
quote:
Pretty crappy....really makes you wonder why ANY of us stay?? Confused

For the last three days Ebay had been losing on average a 100,000 auctions a day according to http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php
Today though they have gone up by 75,000 new listed items. Likely weekend listers. The trend is that they are slowly eroding away their auction listings. People are leaving.

Ebays whole DSR system is just to run off all kinds of sellers, get the auction items up in value so that their higher listing fees generate as much or greater income for the stockholders. They also create anxiety in the sellers to satisfy the buyers.

As of today, Ebay will "give" you %15 off your final value fees for 10 whole days if you give the buyer free shipping. So for peanuts, we would be expected to give our customers free shipping at 4.60, 7.00, 10.00 so that the customer enjoys the added value to the purchase and so that Ebay gets increased sales revenue in a sagging market. The math does not work for the seller. Just more anxiety and desperation given to seller.
quote:
Ebay gets increased sales revenue in a sagging market.
Got to admire their exploitation of a virtual monopoly.

quote:
The math does not work for the seller.
So what? It works for eBay Big Grin

quote:
Just more anxiety and desperation given to seller.
Only if you you want to take on e-Goliath with a catapult and wet sponges Big Grin

GreedBay are the biggest scammers around next to bank credit and charges for waking them up !
A number of factors may come into play in the forthcoming months if trends persist. Yup, Ebay will always be around, but maybe not in the size it was. At some point they can only charge so much and at that point they have charged too much. Some degrees of that are coming into play now with the Gas crunch. People are definitely evacuating Ebay because the cost of doing business it too great for them. Overhead fees/costs versus the amount of sales and profit.

I personally think Ebay is in an untenable situation even now and are scrambling for ways to keep the cash cows milk flowing. Watch for them to do some strange stuff for the sellers in the next couple months as summer sales can potentially fall off a lot.

Is this all doom and gloom? Have I run to a new venue? I'm thinking about diversifying again with action over at IOffer. Only because they are the next biggest venue. I already have a store at ecrater. But as we all know, how many buyers spend time shopping at these other venues. I believe my sales only occur at ecrater because they come in from a webpage on the net and make the purchase. Not because of their spending time on the site looking for interesting products to purchase.

Another aspect of what is going on with fuel prices driving the change in Americas economy is that people are staying home. I believe they will continue spending money on the internet because it is easier and convenient and even maybe cheaper to buy there than driving all over a big city looking for the elusive item.

Currently, my sales at Ebay are fairly constant, because I did some "forced selling" and have been selling laterally with my other products because of it.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.