Skip to main content

Miss S,Gotta wait till the weekend to try to invent those new pretzels. Frown My sweetie went to Pittsburgh for the week.
Choo it is way past dawn here stateside. Surely the sparks should be flying by now?
quote:
Awful lot of train traffic here today. Popular icon all of a sudden.
Jeff S just throwing up a smokescreen to confuse Poor Ole Choo
Hey Choo, I thought it was to get on board... help ya build steam. Big Grin And to confuse Jeff. Smile
Taz, what are you up to there!? Pickin' on Choo like that! Shame on you!! Bad Taz! Bad!! Bad! Red Face
And I thought you came over to the dark side!! Frown

Where IS Miss M? Get over here girlie! We need to do some serious whackin'!! Whack some sense into Taz till his honey gets back. He's runnin' amuck!! Eek

!oohC !oohC ,kcalc ytikcilc ,kcalc ytikcilc...
quote:
a smokescreen to confuse Poor Ole Choo

~And that's pretty easy to do (running away now before I get a whackin) Big Grin Big Grin

Choo, I forgot to tell you, I borrowed the DeLorean and you're not getting it back Smile

Poor Jeff..see what we made him do Frown Don't worry Jeff, I'll change mine back soon. It's gettin too hard to tell who wrote what.

Big HI to everybody else Smile
quote:
It's gettin too hard to tell who wrote what.

Isn't that the point? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I dibs th' DeLorean next!

Strange goin's on around this here thread!

What's gonna happen with th' engine avi's? Are you guys done? Surely there's more to it than this! Peeps have TICKETS for goodness' sake! Eek
Did I sleep too long? What'd I miss?? What time zone is this?
I wondered which dawn sparks will fly.
It dawns on me...
This train jus' does Not fit my persona! Wink

!oohC !oohC ,kcalc ytikcilc ,kcalc ytikcilc...
quote:
Sure you can have the DeLorean next..gotta keep it away from Choo as long as possible, since he won't tell me his name

Right then Ms M I will upgrade your ticket to VIP* class and give you the front row seat on the train wreck of the year, that is on the cow-catcher Wink

Then you can use your x-ray eyes to derail JeffS before impact as you will have a vested interest, as I said may the most devious driver win, he, he, where's Muttley got to ... Big Grin

I hope catering will be supplying enough cookies, pretzels and rats for the viewers gastronomic delight.

*(Very Irritating Persons)
That other train image was too small. This one's better. I remember when I took this shot ten years ago. That engine barreled by at 70mph and the earth shook as it went by. Awesome. I was about 10 feet to the side of the tracks, still camera on one tripod, video camera on another. If your browser supports right click->view image (Firefox does) you can get a better look at the larger original.
Wow, JeffS why on earth did you use off-the-shelf avatar pic when you have your own great picture like that, have enlarged it up to take a closer look.

With such a shine to the paintwork suggests its a preserved engine working a mainline special, right ?

quote:
Choo..don't think I didn't see that

Ah Ms M not ignoring me all the time then Wink
Just popping in to say Hi all. Miss S
quote:
Taz, what are you up to there!? Pickin' on Choo like that! Shame on you!! Bad Taz! Bad!! Bad! Red Face
And I thought you came over to the dark side!!

I was a covert OPS spy and really just came for the cookies but never got any cookies anyway. Ninth got all da cookies Mad
Miss M when do I get the Delorean?
JeffS great photo! My area has a K-4 getting restored right now. It has been in Scranton for sometime and Altoona is getting upset that things are moving so slowly.
Welcome to the madness Thurston!
Taz & Choo - Thanks for the welcome. I'll be here more often now that I know that the club isn't that exclusive.

member_8880 - Thanks for using the site. Hang in there - I have over 1000 little pics on my desktop being sorted for upload in the next week or so. It gets nothin' but better...

BTW - do you have to host the pictures here to use them on the board? I've tried the links at Emotipics put haven't yet been able to make them work.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke
If the pics are hosted on your own site Thurston it is OK to use them but if you are not hosting yourself this is called hot linking and is quasi-illegal and can be considered theft of bandwidth.for example I used one of your images last week on another thread on here "I am lazy" https://community.auctiva.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/455609321/m/3081050762/p/1 and I hosted it on Auctiva. So in short if the pics on emotipics are yours I see no reason you cannot post them here. I have never actually heard of an individual getting in trouble for it. But...
Edit: More than likely you already knew this but I am going to leave the post for others to see that may not be aware of this.
Edit/Edit

I am testing straight from your site to see if your links work with this pic. Hope you do not mind?
Did not work for me I uploaded the image to Auctiva and it should now, kind of strange if you ask me!
Last edited by tazfrompa
quote:
Originally posted by ChooChooGuy:
Wow, JeffS why on earth did you use off-the-shelf avatar pic when you have your own great picture like that, have enlarged it up to take a closer look.

With such a shine to the paintwork suggests its a preserved engine working a mainline special, right ?

Mainline, oh yes. Chesapeake & Ohio #614, that last passenger steam engine manufactured by the Lima works in 1948. A 4-8-4 Northern class (called the "Greenbrier" on C&O), it was freshly restored when these mainline runs were made between Hoboken NJ and Port Jervis NY on the old Erie mainline. The 90 mile trips were a sight to behold, with speeds up to 79mph on some sections. These trips were run in 1996 - 98 in the fall (8 trips each fall) and the summer of 97 (4 trips) when I was lucky enough to ride one. In Port Jervis NY they restored an aging turntable that was just barely large enough to turn the engine so that it could be on the head end for the return trip.

Google C&O 614 and you'll find lots of hits, and a number of sites with my pictures (including the full size original of my avatar). In all, I took hundreds of photos and hours of video.

Here's one to start you off:

http://piercehaviland.com/rail/co614.htm

You'll find many more online.

There's also several dozen videos on YouTube of the Erie Mainline specials that I just discovered! I'm sure some of them will show this engine at it's best. This link should get you there:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=c%26o+614&search=Search
Last edited by jeffs
quote:
Originally posted by TazFromPA:
JeffS great photo! My area has a K-4 getting restored right now. It has been in Scranton for sometime and Altoona is getting upset that things are moving so slowly.

That must be the K-4 I saw at Steamtown 10 years ago. I have a picture of it somwehere with the smokebox open and the boiler shield removed. You can see all the firetubes with the superheaters running through them.
quote:
I am testing straight from your site to see if your links work with this pic. Hope you do not mind?

I certainly don't mind. I think I know why we can't link directly - something to do with this sites forum software. If you see the links page to that image you'll notice 2 different types of forum links. Some forums support them, some don't. I suspect this is one of the latter. PM me (here if you can or on ASM) if you'd like further details.
Alright now! There is NOT enough silliness goin' on here! Big Grin

JeffS, your pic is awesome! Have to agree with Choo on the avi. I live two blocks from a track intersection so it can be loud when they go through - often. Especially when there's a North wind. Once used to the loudness, I enjoy listening to the different whistles.
When my grandkids were here during the summer, my grandson (six come Groundhog Day) would get all excited and run out back to stand up in a chair and watch, just mesmerized. Or best is when his sister or I would hold him up at the fence cause it's closer. He loves all things train! Holding him, I could feel it's soothing to him. I won't be surprised if they're somehow a big part of his adult life.
To me, in the distance, it's such a lonesome sound. Not here though. Smile

So does this mean the showdown is over? I still say what'd I miss? Did I sleep too long? What time zone are we in? Roll Eyes
Is it time to change our avis back? I'm suppose to be howlin' at the moon now.Big GrinBig Grin Think I'll go change it.

Taz, I should've known what you were up to! You don't make a good spy though. Yep, cookies are all spoken for! Razz
As for the DeLorean, it's MINE next! Don't you go tryin' to get it first! Red Face I've got dibs!! Miss M said!

Keep after Choo, Miss M. Surely he'll tell us eventually!
Come'on Choo! Give us just a tiny little hint. Please!!

Hi Pete!

Thurston! Welcome to th' Asylum! No exclusive club here, just folks' reluctance to post. Still can't figure that one out. hmmmm
Anyway, glad to see you and JeffS hangin' around. And N too.

Does that mean we're not SO crazy after all (hah! not a chance!)? Or are ya'll just venturin' on over to the darkside? Cookies are all gone but Taz might have some pretzels left. Ya might ask Miss M 'bout some o' them rats too. I bet she'd be happy to share! Big Grin

Off in search o' that sweet li'l fly. OMG! Now which wall to start with!WinkWink

edit: Holy cow! That's forever long! Have I used up my allotment for th' week? Roll Eyes
Hi Shadeaux, I thought all this steam buff stuff frightened you girls off, yes it was getting eerily sane around here.

Well even with all the new recruits appearing here the playing field is still relatively level boys to girls all though I am sure you and Ms M can be a lot sillier than us, none can beat the freezer rats yet, and 'witch' of you was it with the broom stick ?

I have already called Taz treachorous for confusing me, the train wrecking literally got derailed when JeffS blinded us with his pictures of his enormous engine !

Ms M won't accept a VIP ticket, do you want it instead seeing as you are both being greedy with the DeLorean, where are you Pete, time for another mutant Tele-tubbied attack Big Grin
quote:
yes it was getting eerily sane around here.

Yes, and we just can't have that.

I wonder if Miss M will still have those rats whenever it may be that I go see her. Big Grin

That train derailing, those pics are just somethin'! Yes, I know, quite the understatement there.
I'm sending that link to my granddaughter so she can show it to her little brother. They'll both enjoy that. Thanks JeffS.

I just don't know what to do with Taz. Eek His sweetie needs to get back and straighten 'im out. Or would that be pretzel shape 'im. Big Grin

I'm not bein' greedy with the DeLorean. It's mine next, fair an' square. Taz is tryin' to take cuts, and I don't know what's keepin' Miss M so long with it. Maybe I will take that VIP ticket after all, thank you.Smile

edit: I know it's gettin' late for ya Choo. I may not be here when ya go nighty night. So sweet dreams. I'll be waitin' on that ticket. 'Course I'm still waitin' on that check from Miss M too. (love ya missy.) Wink
OH MY goodness, sorry Jeff, forgot about the Cap no no......I can't keep up here. I had a bunch of sales the last two days!!!!! yeah!!!!
newbie is happy......
I glanced over the "choo'ss" on here- omg all of them, (and I like Jeff's best) and read briefly...I barely know ya all and I gotta figure out which choo is whoo.
I'm getting ready to leave on a 15 night vacation in sunny Cabo San Lucas.....I cannot wait to see the sun!!!
Gotta close up my store for two weeks Confused...now I have to figure that out!
Yep it's bloody fun to see the sun in the winter.
Hola mi amigos, and adios for the next few hours. Big Grin
Hey everybody....Miss S we keep missing each other here..
""I wonder if Miss M will still have those rats whenever it may be that I go see her""
Well, the darn things are still in my freezer, so maybe Eek (psycho lunatic)
OK the DeLorean is yours now, just be sure to give it to Taz when you're done with it Wink
I want my eyes back, I'm lost without my x-ray power, but the train has gotta stay for now - maintenence - tomorrow morning for sure Smile

EDI - Oh alright, I cheated for now to get my eyes back Big Grin Boy that sounds kinda creepy doesn't it Eek
Last edited by member8880

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.