Skip to main content

Anyone else finding auctiva particularly slow today? I'm about at the end of my tether here. Trying to list and pages are taking an absolute age to load up. Was acceptable when auctiva was free but as a paid for service it should be better than this. It's so bad I'm on the verge of looking for an alternative. That's a pity 'cos i like it here... when it works!!.. but this current situation is becoming hopeless.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

so i made the silly mistake of sending in a support request detailing that the experience is noted in several places on the forum and that i've already cleared the cache and all my other sites are functioning and running quickly.

Here is the response:
Alexis
Support
Posted Friday, 10/21/2011 8:02 AM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. I am not aware of any technical problem on our side of things that would cause the slow performance you have noted here, so I suspect there is something odd on your side that is conflicting with our software.

It is also possible that there is a slowdown somewhere on the connection path between your ISP and our systems but there wouldn't really be anything that can be done about that, so it would be best to start by seeing is tweaking some things on your end will improve things.

In case you are connected via a router then the first thing I recommend evaluating is if an issue with your router could be causing the problem. In order to do this, you will want to bypass your router by connecting your modem directly to your computer and then try using Auctiva while not going through the router.

If you find that your experience improves significantly when you cut the router out of the picture, you could then touch base with the customer support team of your router's manufacturer and see if they can troubleshoot the issue with you.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.
To update:
after my initial post I opened a support case. Here's the reply I got -

"Thanks for contacting us regarding this matter. We did receive similar reports from other users based in UK so we have already forwarded the details over to our Engineering team for further investigation.
We will follow up with you via the same support case once we receive any information on this to share with you."

Just to let you all know, pretty much immediately after I opened the case auctiva has been running turbo charged for me...very strange. I've had no message to say they fixed anything so either it's coincidence or could it be something more sinister...traffic shaping anyone?
Auctiva, I have sent cut/paste on another thread regarding this with error message from your system. There are several threads going on this at present time. Thankfully, perhaps one will get response.

Am trying to relist items and waited 4 minutes for saved listing photos to show up. I gave up after 4 minutes. I have print screen of blanks if you need example. I had just cleared cache/etc., less than hour before because of slowness, hoping that would help.

Please auctiva at least give us the courtesy of a response, as we are wasting precious listing time.

If issue is even being looked into it would be GREAT to know that. I am VERY concerned that this is going to go on throughout holidays.

This is truly the slowest I have EVER seen this site. 4+ minutes for page to load is absurd!! it is 7:43 p.m. eastern time here now if time helps anything.

Thanks
To me this slowness comes and goes, but lately has been most of the time. Rarely have I listed or relisted that this has not been a problem. I think you are right about support, I only write them if I "HAVE" to as most requests require too much wasted back & forth where you can clearly tell the request has NOT been read. You then specifically have to tell them to go into the actual listing and look at item you sent request on. One report I did lately, I had put examples of what I was talking about, they found a completely different item and started talking about it ignoring one I reported. Craziness. Plus, it took about 12 notes and I finally gave up after asking that it be sent to supervisor more than once.

It is sad how great this site was when it was free (and mind you I do not mind paying for it). But I expect at least equal to what it was when it was free and am sure not getting that as of late. Rare forum notes from auctiva, support horrid lately, site issues, basically ignoring the very thing that you grew from. Most people on commerce would not be on there had they not started with ebay side of this first. I would think that would be their ticket to other converts from ebay to commerce so you would want it great. If I were new and reading these forums begging for answers I would run for the hills.

Apparently, auctiva has decided that commerce is where the money is and only their requests are dealt with lately. (which I do think a lot of those were in need of fixing, but so is this) I rarely see answers on ebay forums from auctiva personnel and frankly I have about given up on trying to help people, as I am spending my time trying to get listings and figure it why do I want to continue to spend my time answering questions for auctiva when they ignore mine. (BAD but true) IF f I do see answer it is usually a one person issue. Something like this that has numerous threads going seem to be ignored.

Not being able to fix the issue immediately is one thing but ignoring it totally completely different!!!

I do not know if they are in self-destruct mode or what which would be ashamed, as this was sooo smooth for many years for me and can't seem to understand WHY a great company is going this direction.
Clueless where everyone went, but doubt it is because "POOF" magically all of their issues disappeared!!! All summer it was thought, well, its summer, well, we are getting to PRIME selling time and seems slimmer than summer on forums.

I think people have just "given up" on them. Auctiva seems to have lost most interest in them and think their customers have followed their lead I guess.

This once was vibrant community with lots of positive energy sad to see that go. It is hard to get something back once you have lost it.
I assume you mean post - Remember it is a free listing day on Ebay. Since the beginning of time Auctiva has had problems on days like this.Their servers cannot handle the volume. I like many am getting ready to leave Auctiva.
If you mean saving a listing, I just saved a test listing in the usual 45 seconds that it always seems to take
Since I last wrote in this post I uploaded 35 listings using Turbolister. Its a piece of junk as well, but at least it posts on heavy volume days. The new version has bugs last I read, so I still use the old one. You might want to pause your internet security while you upload. TL advises to do that with its software. I always schedule in advance with Auctiva, never tried posting right away in all the years I have used it
Sorry for the confusion. I listed straight to ebay with TL. They claim you can upload from TL to Auctiva, but for what? Templates? You'd have to change all the listings, and who needs that headache. I have an older version of TL, which has drawbacks such as not having all the new item specifics that are needed for clothing. It LOOKS like they cleared up the most recent problems. If so, I will download TL on another PC, rather than overlay one that works, and just export my data and import it into the new one. Meanwhile I am seriously looking at the software that if you mention it, your post is removed. I don't think I'll have a lot of time until after the holidays to really get into it, but if I can't get my stuff to save at least in a 45 second interval, it may prompt me to switch sooner. I just can't ditch Auctiva due to them hosting images across multiple sites, but I can certainly do with not doing the auctions with them. Had they not destroyed 1000's of saved listings, I might feel otherwise. Their faulty testing of changes is brutal.
It is kind of like, let's let this die!!! At least throw us a bone! What is being done to fix this.

Was the NEW AND IMPROVED saved listing page going to relieve this???

I did get note from support something that they had done some tweak and to let them know how it worked, etc., etc.

Wrote back.. no difference.

But forums is where this is being addressed and forums is where it should be posted, so that others can say "YES, this fixed my issue, or NO it is horrible".

This is NOT going to go away Auctiva, (until/unless we do and then you have a new group of people who complain) how about fixing this and a few other things to make listing what it use to be. Easy, Fast Efficient! This has truly become a frustration.
Last edited by lookandbuyme
itsjustme.. . ??? Did you clear all the junk out? Check your router reset, or better still just run out and buy a new one in your spare time, call your ISP company and have them come out to tell you it is NOT their problem?

If not please try all of the above! Smile Then come back and let us know it SOLVED the problem how about it!! Wink

You know Greg you are right they do not care like they use to at all. I think ebay attitude in last year has been better than it has in last 10 years of selling (not saying a HUGE amount.. but is much better). Auctiva use to outshine ebay by a total 100% landslide. Wish the old auctiva were back (NOT meaning the free, that would be nice, but I do not begrudge them the fee they charge). Seems to me though that IF you multiply at X's how many people pay we could get some issues fixed rather than re-doing things that worked GREAT before.

Silence is golden. . tells me a lot. . i.e. that they are not concerned.
Here we go again, auctiva is there an end to this madness??????

Error
We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to the high volume of requests at this time, your request took longer than expected to process. Please retry your request again. If you continue to receive this error, please contact technical support referencing ID# 594a134d-5ce1-4d96-bc2b-759b7ad85cbf. Thank you.
Options
I am new to these boards, but I have been using Auctiva for a couple of years. Today, I tried to list some auctions I did earlier today - it says they were sent to E-bay, but they weren't and they do not show they were when I go back t saved listings. I was able to list some older listings though without any issues. Is this th problem you are running into?

Thanks
Well, Auctiva answered my help question this morning. Turns out it was the template (a newer one) I was using is messing it up. I had 25 brand new maternity items (I used the same template on all of them) I wanted to list on auction (I have an e-bay store & do not like to pay to list auctions). So now I have to go in change the template & make the BIN/Make an Offer & change the duration. I will just switch them to auctions when they offer free or cheap auctions again. I have never had any other issuew with Auctiva, but I am not happy right now.

Have a good day!
Way too busy around the house to list today, and I know once it is past 7AM on the east coast, I might as well pack it in with Auctiva. Now if 3AM tomorrow is slow....... Looking forward to getting some time to play with the competitor. There is no way it is as bad as this. Momma22, good luck. At least they didn't tell you to clear the cache and buy a new router but sooner or later that will be their response to a problem
I've got to be in a time warp. I just created a listing AND had the create another listing in front of me in less than 10 seconds. I did that 3 times in a row. The ONLY thing is that I just installed a new version of Opera, 11.60. I have no time to do this now, but if this actually is the norm at the early hours tomorrow I will be VERY impressed. I didn't clear my cache or get a new router or anything!
OK - Something has changed. I did 60 listings this morning in tims not seen in years on Auctiva. I did notice a couple of things. First off the average response of getting a screen back to do a smililar listing was 10 seconds instead of the normal 45. EVERYTHING was faster within the editing process. I noticed too that the drop down box where you pick the site was greyed out. I had not noticed that before. Again, I'm using saved listings and creating new from it. I also saw some quick flash screens while choosing a category that said the words Please and Site but it was so fast that I couldn't make out anything else. I also pulled up my task manager and watched it work when I saved a listing. Mind you this is an old machine, 256K and usually I would have the entire 100% of the CPY used up for a good 20-25 seconds when saving and getting back a new screen. This morning, less than 50% and only for a short period of time. I suspect my 256K has nothing to do with it as you all are experiencing the same frustrations. The ONLY thing I did was upgrade to the new Opera 11.6, which of course Auctiva does not support. If everything is fixed it won't be the first time that it happens with no explanation. The old description loading at a far slower rate than the rest of the listing when creating a new listing nver was fully explained, it just seemed to work all of a sudden. If you think these problems are bad, the description slowdown was brutal. At least an hour to create 7-10 listings with minimal changes. Anyway, thats my view from the early hours on a Saturday. For one day anyway, all was right in the Auctiva world.
Hi folks

Auctiva has us all thinking that the time to get to their site is not an issue. Well lets assume that's accurate (in fact it may well be most times). Where I believe the slowness happens is in the architecture of the Auctiva system itself. I live in the far North Woods of Maine. My internet is not Broadband rather I bounce a signal to a tower 18 miles away so my performance is a lot faster than dial-up access but slower than DSL service. This allows me to watch web sites load files and such as if things are in slow motion (well for me they are). What I have seen over the year is that Auctiva is very prone to getting out of sync. By that I mean that if one task takes too long to finish a subsequent task may go into n infinite loop "waiting" for the slow task to finish (that means that even after the slow task is finished the next task is thinking its not done yet). I find I can hit Refresh (F5) and things will get done a lot faster than simply waiting. Most times this works okay but depending where you are in the edit process you could loose data. So if you have just tweaked the perfect title or crafted that killer description copy you information to the clipboard and paste it somewhere safe. The reason a refresh sometimes will fix the loop condition is because when refresh is hit a lot of the information had already been accessed by the computer so it can process that task that took forever in a more normal fashion so the next task (the one that just waited forever) can now start and not get "confused". Even if I am mistaken they will need to prove that and by doing that they will find the issue because an issue there is. As I say I'm willing to accept they really don't have a Bandwidth issue or a Server performance issue (one thing perhaps is they may "store" too much data/information) on the local machine (i.e. our machines)) but there is some issue.

There are many potential bottlenecks in the entire process not just how long it takes to get from point A to point B. Believe me, folks here say it takes minutes to list sometimes. Even with my slow internet and using a selective use of the Refresh option it has never come close to that. Once in a while I just walk away because somewhere on the super highway there is a bottleneck. That happens less than once a week and others here have a lot worse issue with response. So anything that is a measure of 10s of seconds or minutes most times is not a router issue (unless one is malfunctioning and I don't think all of these in all of the business have a bad router) but rather an infrastructure issue on Auctiva's end and/or a timing issue with all their functions that need to mesh together like the gears of a a clock (whoops sorry all you digital folks clocks used to have gears). It is not a trivial task but it is a standard task for the certain type of IT person I'm talking about

Sorry just some random thoughts.

Auctiva if I have upset your technicians (by the way I do not like that word as the types of folks I am talking about are not technicians, just like employees are not resources) I have done my task. Now hopefully they will turn over every possibility to PROVE me incorrect. If that turns out to be the result I will apologize and thank them for finding the issue and fixing it. I do not want to leave as I like it here but this is a promise not a threat. If it deteriorates much more I will go somewhere

just my 5 cents worth
Excellent criticism Ed. Coming from similiar backgrounds, you can appreciate my frustration in the "changes" they roll out. They look to be incomplete both in design and certainly in testing. Back in the day, if I (and I was an applications/systems analyst with a smattering of coding thrown in) had let stuff get into production working the way Auctiva has its stuff working, my head would be on the chopping block.Programmers program. Everything else should be handled by other people who know what the code is supposed to do and hopefully knows the system. The fact that this doesn't happen leads me to believe the whole thing is outsourced. My last few years I worded for a company that had programmers worldwide working on the same project. The left hand did not know what the right hand was doing, but didn't need to. They each had a portion of the entire project to work on. Somehow it works for them. I don't share your view on paying more though. Remember at one time this was free. It also worked better when it was free. They also should put in a change log so people can see what has changed from day to day. It might be helpful. Of course if the whole thing were open source, there probably would be less problems. It always seems that there are people out there with time on their hands that like to fix "bugs"
my data background tells me it might also be packet loss and hitting the refresh might make an accurate send. it costs money to pay for higher grades of service that results in few packet losses but that is not going to be a reality here. since the purchase by alibaba it is clear that there will be no additional investment in this side of the house.
I have very little knowledge of this techie side of things, HOWEVER, I do know that something has changed, and it is being ignored. Occasionally, the throw us a bone. . . but the norm is "ignore it and they will go away" Maybe it should be """IGNORE THEM and THEY WILL GO AWAY!!"""

Be careful what you wish for, it is people like us that keep businesses alive. Most businesses do not have a forum, so they will be like where did we go wrong.. .what did we do. Auctiva, has forum and the people who use it are telling you ahead of time what the issues are. I have seen others leave, I would think this daily irritation and stress could very well have been part of reason Michelle who to me was the only reason that commerce did as well as it has. She was troubleshooter with others, but since it was also a business for her, I have to say she would DIG in her heels and find solutions. She was also vocal like we are about issues. Just a thought, there are several others who were pretty active that have also left commerce/auctiva.

Auctiva, what about this issue???? How about enlightening us????? IF nothing is going to be "fixed" then just say it.
Hi Community,

Thanks for keeping us posted on the behavior you have been experiencing on our site lately. To this point, we have been able to locate one issue since reports of this nature began surfacing and implemented a solution for that issue toward the end of the November.

While we did receive confirmation from several customers who had reported slower than usual site performance that they were no longer expericing that behavior after that point, we realize that some users are still experiencing similar problems.

As it stands now, we are not sure what is causing some of your to continue encountering these performance problems but we are still actively attempting to identify the source of any remaining problems and we will do our best to resolve any that we are able to uncover.

If you are encountering exceptionally slow performance on the Auctiva website and have not done so already, I encourage you to file a support case with as much detail as possible about what you have observed including which specific features on the site you have found to be particularly problematic.

-Mike
Mike

one question is, If Greg-T in fact does have broadband and he has been having 2 to 3 minute response for months if not years and I have 2 to 3 minute response (but I can understand why as my INTERNET as I have said many times is very slow so I expect slow)on a slow Internet connection than how does that make sense unless the issue is not on the internet speed but on something else

just trying to assist with an issue that seems to have been going on for a long long time

Perhaps in the future when a chnage is made that is supposed to fix a major issue such as this folks could be made aware of it

thanks
ed
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.